SciServer Compute Data Storage Policy
SciServer Compute enables users to create and use Jupyter Notebooks on servers that are close to the data stored on the SciServer system. SciServer provides two networked locations to store user data that are connected to a user’s Compute container: Persistent and Scratch storage.
- Persistent storage is permanent, and is backed up.
Scratch space allows users to temporarily store large datasets, but
- is shared between users,
- is not backed up, and
- should not be used for permanent storage.
To ensure that Persistent and Scratch storage do not become full, SciServer has introduced the following rules governing reclamation of Persistent and Scratch space.
SciServer currently allocates 10 GB of Persistent storage for each user.
- Attempts by users to exceed their Persistent data storage allocation may fail.
- SciServer reserves the right to delete a user’s Persistent data that is in excess of their allocation.
- User requests for additional Persistent storage will be considered on a per user basis.
SciServer provides 80 TB total of shared Scratch storage space for all users.
- SciServer reserves the right to delete Scratch data after a Grace Period of 72 hours.
- The Grace Period begins at the creation of the file or database schema.
- Modifying a file or database schema does not reset the grace period.
- The oldest data files or schemas will be deleted first.
- User requests for additional Scratch storage or time will be considered on a per user basis.
- Users will be notified by email 24 hours before their Persistent or Scratch data is deleted.
SciServer’s Data Storage Policy is subject to change. However, SciServer will not delete user data as a result of a policy change that decreases users’ storage allocation.
Use of SciServer Compute implies acknowledgement and acceptance of the SciServer Data Storage Policy.
SciServer Non-Commercial Use Policy
SciServer tools and services may only be used for non-commercial purposes. Logging in and using the SciServer system implies your acknowledgement and acceptance of this policy.